Tuesday, November 4, 2008

DeMarius for President yr 2029

We woke up HYPE this morning. November 4, 2008 was a monumental day in our household. Everyone went about their way and made it to the polls about 7:05am. The drive over gave me the time to talk to my baby about the importance of voting. I told him how people looked down on blacks & women & treated them like second class citizens. I told stories of people being beaten, hosed, bitten by dogs & jailed just because they wanted the same rights as White Men. After I gave him his lil' history lesson, then I told him I was voting for Barack Obama and I explained why. I ended this story by saying that Barack Obama is a Black man. Everything about my 9 year old son straightened up. You could see the confidence in his eyes. He was no longer slouching, he put his head in the air and his shoulders back and said if he can become the first black president, maybe I can be the next 1. I told him I'll be the first to cast my vote!

5 comments:

  1. Sonya,
    I am feeling your excitement and pride! So happy that you your son was able to vote with you in this historic election. Chile, my Big Mama is glued to the TV. I cannot wait to wake up and call her to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect picture! DeMarius 2029? That has a nice ring to it. Let me start working on the campaign ads right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I can't wait to vote for D. in a few...well a lot of years from now. LOL! I love the part where you wrote he sat up straighter. THAT'S what I'm talking about. This is about more than a presidency. It's about hope. Wait, ain't that what President Obama's been talking about? President Obama. PRESIDENT OBAMA! PRE-SI-DENT OBAMA. Music to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a Beautiful Blog and a Beautiful story. It is simply amazing. The only words I have to explain it! I love this picture to... you should have it framed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chile, Big Mama was still up when Barack Obama was named the winner! What a moment!
    Oh, I am trying to manage these blogs. I finally figured out how to get thecreativelady.blogspot to work so join me there. I will keep this open but will do updates from tcl.
    ~Peace

    ReplyDelete